8 Steps of the Home Buying Process
1. Get a Realtor® In the maze of forms, financing, inspections, marketing, pricing, and negotiating, it makes sense to work with professionals who know the community and much more. We are experienced Realtors, who absolutely love helping our clients through the home buying process and can help you with your housing needs.
2. Get a mortgage pre-approval Most first-time buyers need to finance their home purchase, and a consultation with a mortgage lender is a crucial step in the process. Find out how much you can afford before you begin your home search. We partner with established lenders that can help you with your financing needs.
3. Look at homes A quick search on our site will bring up homes for sale. Educating yourself on your local market and working with an experienced Realtor can help you narrow your priorities and make an informed decision about which home to choose.
4. Choose a home While no one can know for sure what will happen to housing values, if you choose to buy a home that meets your needs and priorities, you’ll be happy living in it for years to come.
5. Get funding The cost of financing your home purchase is usually greater than the price of the home itself (after interest, closing costs, and taxes are added). Get as much information as possible regarding your mortgage options and other costs.
6. Make an offer While much attention is paid to the asking price of a home, a proposal to buy includes both the price and terms. In some cases, terms can represent thousands of dollars in additional value—or additional costs—for buyers. Having a Realtor that is skilled at negotiations is a great benefit during this process.
7. Get insurance No sensible car owner would drive without insurance, so it figures that no homeowner should be without insurance, either. Real estate insurance protects owners in the event of catastrophe.
8. Closing The closing process, which can also be known as settlement or escrow, is increasingly computerized and automated. In practice, closings bring together a variety of parties who are part of the real estate transaction. And once the closing process is done, you'll be the owner of your beautiful new home!
For more buyer info, check out the Buyer section of our website.